Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cub Scouts Bug Me (hehehe)

The scouts don't really bug me.  In fact, my den of Tiger Cubs are really pretty sweet.  I have 9 of them, and it has been so much fun working with them this year.

We have our monthly den meeting tonight, and are going to be working on completing an elective of making decorations.  Our Blue and Gold Banquet is next month, so I thought it would be fun for the boys to make decorations for the banquet.  I did some searching on the internet, and most of the ideas I found were just too difficult for 6 & 7 year old boys with short attention spans.  I found one that I modified a little bit to make it easier for the boys.  So tonight we will be making Cub Scout Yarn Bugs!


I cut long lengths of blue and gold yarn, which the boys will wrap around 5" strips of cardboard.  Then they will tie a short piece of yarn under one side, flip the cardboard over and cut through the loops to make a yarn pom pom.  I stuck a white pipe cleaner through an egg carton section so that the two ends come out in the bowl part of the carton.  These will eventually be the legs.  I took a blue pipe cleaner and stuck it through in the opposite direction for arms.  Then I spread tacky glue all over the outside of  the egg carton section and plopped the yarn pompom on top.  I glued on a set of googly eyes.  I took the white pipe cleaner and made loops on the end that I flattened out.  Onto the loops I taped (glue wouldn't hold) a piece of blue craft foam, cut into the shape of feet.  I used a short piece of white pipe cleaner for a flag pole and glued on a piece of gold cardstock cut into a flag, and the words "Pack 129" in blue cardstock that I cut on my Cricut.  The original design I saw had a cap, which was cute, but I think what I have done here is enough to keep my boys occupied without completely losing their interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment