Friday, February 7, 2014

An Olympic Meal

With the opening ceremonies of the Olympics on TV tonight, I decided to skip the Disney movie night and watch the Games with the family.  Of course, that required planning an Olympic themed menu.

My first thought was Russian food.  But, I couldn't imagine my kids eater perogies or borscht.  And I don't know any other Russian foods off the top of my head!

So, I decided to use the Olympic rings as inspiration.  Our menu ended up including:



  • Burger Rings (Yes...rings made out of burger!  We made hamburger patties, and cut the center out with a cookie cutter before grilling.  We had enough meat left to make a "gold medal" topped with cheese, too!)
  • Onion Rings (These were baked and used whole wheat bread crumbs for the breading.  So, actually not too bad for you, and really tasted good!)
  • Pineapple Rings
  • Drink: Powerade Zero (Hey...it's a sports drink!)


  • Dessert: DONUTS!  (I take no credit for making these.  They came from the store.  I was hoping to find ones with red, white, and blue sprinkles in honor of the Olympics, but the closest I could get were red and white valentines sprinkles.  Oh, well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment