Saturday, February 22, 2014

Disney Movie Night: Planes


Planes is one of my youngest's favorite movies.  He has been begging for a Planes movie night for a while now, so I thought, why not?

What do you make that goes with Planes?  I was stumped.  I did some searching on the internet, and while the idea of plane shaped sandwiches is cute, it doesn't really live up to my expectations for movie night.  So, I had to do some thinking.

If you've seen the movie, you know that Dusty Crophopper is racing in the Wings Around the Globe. This race stops in various countries around the world...which gave me my inspiration for tonight's menu!

For our dinner this evening we had:


- Pork Potstickers, representing China.  I love dumplings, wontons, anything like that.  I'd never made potstickers before, and these got a little dark on the bottom, but they were super tasty!

- Apple Halwa, representing India.  India was hard.  I needed something the kids would actually eat.  Plus, I seem to have a curry allergy (I've only made curry once, and I broke out in a horrible itchy rash - I'd rather not risk that again!).  So, when I came across a recipe for apple halwa, I thought it sounded like a winner.  It was!  The kids loved it!

- Pretzel Rolls, representing Germany.  I considered sauerkraut, but the kids won't touch it.  Pretzel rolls sounded fun, and boy were they tasty!  I dipped mine in some Boetje's mustard...mmmm!

- Root Beer, representing the United States.  I know, there were probably better choices, but it sounded good!  We went local and got Millstream, made right here in Iowa.



- Flan, representing Mexico.  I've never made a flan before, but we really like flan, so I gave it a try.  It turned out OK, but not great.

All in all, just like Dusty Crophopper, this meal was a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment