Saturday, December 3, 2011

May the Force Be With You (Part 2)

So, by my last post, you can tell that the birthday party at our house is a Star Wars theme.  That requires a Star Wars cake.  Most years, I would be breaking out the buttercream, but not this year.  One of my son's best friends has food allergies, so he chose to have rice krispie treats for his party instead of cake.  He really is a great kid!

So, Rice Krispie Yoda it is!  I just made regular Rice Krispie treats (recipe found here).  It took 1 1/2 batches to get the amount I needed.  I added green food coloring to avoid frosting.  This really may be the easiest cake I have made yet.


I started by lining a cookie sheet with waxed paper.  It is going to make serving the cake 10x easier.


Then I made the first recipe of treats and put them in a well-greased 9" cake pan.  I let it cool a few minutes and turned it out on the cookie sheet.  That's when I learned a lesson...if you don't let them cool long enough, they fall completely apart!  SO, I squished it all back in the pan and let it cool longer.  This time it worked.


The second half-batch I just turned out on waxed paper and made a little brick.  This was my sculpting pile.


I started by making the ears, which were really pretty easy.  Just sort of big triangles stuck to the side of the circle.  I then used the remaining treats to make a nose, wrinkles, a mouth.  I basically just played with it until I was happy.


I used a big marshmallow and a chocolate chip for each eye, and have (I think) a pretty darn good Yoda cake!

Today is the party, and the boys are going to be making lightsabers (I'll post about that later), playing Star Wars, eating Yoda's face, and opening presents.  What more could a 7 year old ask for???

1 comment:

  1. I love this! My son has food allergies, and I am going to use this for sure!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete