Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Calmer Trip to the Grocery...Finally!

Just because the kids are home for break does not mean I get a break from grocery shopping.  So, this morning, we loaded up in the car and did something I absolutely dread...went to the store as a family (minus Dad who is working).  Normally, I like going places with my kids.  In the past week, we've been to the zoo, the museum, and the library.  But the grocery store?  This is the one place that gives me nightmares.  What is it about this place that brings out the screaming, running off, touching everything side of children?  And it's not just my children.  Even when I go by myself, I see other people's children doing the same things.  It's why stores like Target and HyVee give out cookies.  They know it buys a few moments of sanity for mom.

A while ago I saw an idea somewhere (sorry, I don't remember where) of giving kids their own shopping list.  This couldn't possibly work, right?  I mean, it seems way too easy.  But this morning, I was desperate for anything to save me the agony of a normal grocery trip with three children.  So, I made up my list on my cell phone.  Then I picked out 10 items that the kids could easily identify: bananas, carrots, canned pineapple rings, tomato sauce, bacon, honey, butter, eggs, bread, and frozen green beans.  I made two lists with 5 items each, in the order they would come across them in the store. I printed them out and handed them to the kids.  Here is G's list:
They were SO excited!!!  J did start to run off at first...he really wanted to get to those bananas on his list!  Once I reigned him in, we had a great trip.  I figured C was a little old (he's 8) for this, so I gave him a couple of other jobs: he was in charge of helping J with his list and he got to order the meat at the meat counter.  He loved being in charge of ordering, and the guys at the meat counter were great with him.

Now, I'm not going to give up my solo trips.  No way.  But, this idea will hopefully keep our trips to the store this summer peaceful!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad your shopping trip went well. I suppose I am lucky with only B but I must admit I am enjoying the chance this year to go by myself. I have always let him carry the list - he can't read it and I don't do pictures but he likes the responsibility. I do get him to help and when we go to the butchers he always orders our meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this on a little older level my kids are 7, 8, and 9 and the 9 year old is new to our family and a fan of the "you need to get me..." disease. the 8 year old is fine and the 7 year old is all over the place. I truly dread trips to the grocery store. With 2 it wasn't bad, with 3... ugh!!! And I have to go today!

    ReplyDelete